Washington Trip

I was pretty stressed out about the trip. I think I even mentioned it in a previous post. BUT everything went nice and smooth πŸ™‚ Thank goodness. Most people don’t know this, but I was born in Everett Washington and I grew up in Snohomish Washington. We have a long line of Washington borns on both sides of my family. And people wonder where I get that Seahawk pride. Home state loyalty. Took 23 years to pay off, but it finally did πŸ™‚

Friday was a late start day. Thankfully from our house to the hotel was only about 5 hours. We still had to wait for everyone to get home from work and loaded up. The drive up was flawless. Lots of pee breaks, good music, good laughs…everyone was happy. Which is always nice. We had two kiddos in our car. One is 16 the other is almost 13. Keeping them entertained on any length of trip is no easy task. They actually did really well until the last hour or so. The 13 year old kept asking if we were almost there. I had to remind her that constantly asking wouldn’t get us there any quicker.

Sleeping arrangements were a lot of fun. We had two rooms with two beds each. We figured mom, dad, my little sister, and my brother in one room. JB, myself, and my uncle’s three girls (16, 14, 13) in the other. Have you ever shared a hotel room with three girls after a 5 hour drive… you’d think they’d be tired. Nope. Wide awake. They didn’t get along with JB very well either. So that caused a few issues as well.

Saturday we had an early start. We had to be up and ready by 10:15. Since we were staying in Everett, it was nice to be driving home home. To Snohomish. I hadn’t been there since the summer of 5th grade. My grandparents moved to Oklahoma the next summer. We all gathered up at Alfy’s Pizza in the biggest room they had for my uncle’s remembrance. I got to see family I hadn’t seen in over 12 years. There was such an amazing turn out. My aunt, his caregiver, did such a great job. There were fresh flowers everywhere, photos of him all over, she even displayed a few of his Special Olympics medals (he had probably over 40 back at the house).

After the remembrance we went back to my aunt’s house. We were there for a good portion of the day. Laughing, talking, looking at pictures. I ended up staying the night to have a few drinks with her and my other aunt. It was a nice break from the kiddos. My youngest cousin was attached at my hip the whole trip. We ended up playing hi, low, red, or black, and Whoonu*. I learned a lot more about her than I bargained for πŸ˜€ It’s amazing how different your family is once you cross that line from child to adult. Last time I saw her I was probably 9 or 10 and here I am drinking with her and talking about all kinds of things 10 year olds can’t talk about πŸ˜€ We didn’t drink very much (didn’t want a hangover for the trip home) and we were only up until about 1.

Sunday morning was off to an early start. We were all up and ready by 10:30 to head over to my uncle’s house for a Father’s Day BBQ. He timed it pretty well with all of us being there and it being Father’s Day. It’s been years since my grandpa was able to spend Father’s Day with my mom. My uncle lives over in Seattle… so we ended up passing CenturyLink Field. I tried to get CenturyLink in the picture, but my timing wasn’t having that. I did get a few good pictures though. I also nabbed a few of the Space Needle. My dad said I’ve been up in there before, but I was way too young to remember.

We left for home from his house. Which cut our return trip down by an hour. This time the girls slept all the way home. Well okay, the youngest was up for about an hour. Towards the last 20 minutes I started getting really sleepy. We made it home by about 6:30 ish. My siblings and I made a quick run to the store for a Father’s Day gift for our dad. We ended up getting him three blu-rays and a game. (He just got an awesome new blu-ray player so he needs movies to watch). My aunt came and picked the girls up. We made dinner and watched Game of Thrones. Then it was early to bed. I took yesterday off because I only had Mon and Tue before the house is flooded with people again. My grandpa and his group are coming back down tomorrow. They plan to head home on Friday. After that I have to figure out what I’m going to do with the kiddo all Summer…. I’m still open for suggestions πŸ™‚


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s